[Freeswitch-users] Comparison matirx

Daniel-Constantin Mierla miconda at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 12:35:57 PDT 2008

On 08/03/08 16:00, Steve Underwood wrote:
> Grey Man wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:20 AM, Simon Shaw <sshaw at interwise.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I have built a comparison matrix that will enable me to compare the leading
>>> Open Source soft switches.
>>>
>>> In the attached spread sheet there is a first suggestion of what I think
>>> should be compared and relevant weightings and I would be glad to hear your
>>> feedback.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Simon

>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> Looks like a good idea to me even though you're going to need to be an
>> expert in each product to be able to fill it in and the experts in
>> this case tend to be a bit biased :).
>>
>> One suggestion I'd have for another row is "Security Fix Rate". For
>> example while the Asterisk community's approach to handling security
>> releases is commendable the rate at which they happen is a real pain
>> when you have to potentially upgrade a production system for each one.
>> Although the pain comes from having to worry about whether the version
>> of Asterisk that you need to upgrade to will be one of the stable or
>> dud versions!
>>

> I think measures of non-security bug fix responsiveness are fine.
> Everyone ships with bugs, even if some ship with far more than others.
> Responsive in dealing with those bugs is probably as important as their
> frequency.

This looks more like ranking the developer rather than the project.
Based on application architecture, could be hard to classify
critical/non-critical bugs. All projects tend to have now a small,
stable core part and move the features in the modules, to protect from
changes which are not under strict control. Over some time, when a
project becomes significant big, the rate of the bugs could increase as
contributions grow. However, if they don't affect the core and base
modules,the relevance is interpretable.

Cheers,
Daniel

--