[Freeswitch-users] Massively Scalable Voicemail-to-Email Farm

Guy Fawkes freedialupforall at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 13:43:20 PDT 2008

FreeSWITCH Users,

We are looking to set-up a simple, inbound-only, massively scalable
voicemail platform running on Debian or FreeBSD.  The goals are as follows:

Set-up one or more SIP peers for inbound traffic.  All calls are inbound; no
outbound dialing is allowed.  Only options are to dial-in leave a message or
enter your PIN and record a new custom greeting.  No messages are stored on
the server and all are emailed out as mp3 attachments.  The database should
contain the mappings for the telephone number, user pin, and email address
target.  Creation and management of the user data such as the email address
and PIN will be handled by an external process.  Obviously, the custom
greeting identifer will have to get linked to the telephone number data
somehow so the system plays the correct custom greeting for any given dialed
number.

What would be the recommended minimum (stripped down) Freeswitch install to
achieve this?  We don't want to install elements that serve no functional
purpose for this model nor do we want unneccessary processes consuming
resources.

Can someone give us some idea of sizing?  Since the users will live in a
database, the only sizing concern would be how many concurrent calls
(assuming all are actively recording messages) for a given hardware
configuration, say dual Xeon 2.8GHz with 4GB RAM?  We did see the FAQ (How
many concurrent calls can it support? Any benchmarks?), but were hoping for
some real-world feedback, or even suggestions, if available, as we will be
starting with several used servers of the aforementioned configuration.

We had already built a relatively robust call recording application using
Asterisk some time ago, and found that writing to ramdisk was the only way
to achieve any worthwhile per-server performance, and as we are FreeSWITCH
newbies, we decided it wouldn't hurt to ask.
Cheers!