[Freeswitch-users] Freeswitch and Openser

Raymond Chandler intralanman at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 03:44:03 PDT 2008

Pete Kay wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am currently evaluating either using Freeswitch or Openser for my
> SIP server.
Typically, these two are used best with one another.
> I am trying to look for information that can tell me the difference
> between the two in terms of ease-of-maintain, ease-of-implement, and
> scalability.  If you have such kind of information, would you please
> share with me?
Apples and Oranges. OpenSER is more of a proxy/router and FreeSWITCH
is... well.... a switch. OpenSER is definitely better at dealing with
broken devices (i.e. most linksys phones/ATAs on the market) behind nat.
You might consider using OpenSER as a registrar/proxy and using
FreeSWITCH to do the call accounting and routing to/from carriers.

If you must use only one or the other... Look at who you will be
primarily interfacing with. (i.e. end users behind nat or carriers and
wholesalers)

Concerning configs, FreeSWITCH uses XML configs while OpenSER uses a
very C-like scripting language. I guess which is easier depends on your
background.

Both FreeSWITCH and OpenSER are extremely scalable, but IMHO should be
used for totally different reasons.

-Ray