[Freeswitch-users] Documentation roadmap

Jonas Gauffin jonas.gauffin at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 08:55:11 PDT 2007

Hello all

This is my suggestion on how we can improve the documentation. It's
all being discussed before. But since nothing more have happened, I'm
sending this email.

First of all. I need to know if you want to participate in the
documentation project. That is to create books/manuals for FreeSwitch.

As I see it we need different roles:
a) People with some knowledge about Freeswitch
b) New users giving feedback
c) Users with excellent English knowledge who can correct grammar etc.

My suggestion is that we start with a Users guide. It should contain
everything the average user needs to know to get FreeSwitch up and
running. It should guide the user through everything like user
accounts, protocols, dialplan and provider configuration.

As someone suggested, DocBook is a nice way of doing the
documentation. With DocBoc, we can generate a online documentation
(and add a commenting system like the php online manual), PDF's and
CHM files.

I got a couple of links to docbook authoring tools at home. I'll post
them later.

My suggestion is to make an new mailing list for the documentation
project, and that the documentation can be put under source control.

What we need to know:
1. Are you interested in participating?
2. What parts of FS do you know (i.e what parts can you document)?

A suggestion to a small road map for the actual documentation:
1. Create a chapter index
2. Create a sub chapter index.
3. Create headlines for each sub chapter
4. Do the actual documentation

What do you all think?

Best regards,
  Jonas