[Freeswitch-users] Conference and sound file questions

mda at discerning.com mda at discerning.com
Fri Mar 16 19:18:55 PDT 2007

Hi Jonas -

I'm by no means a FS expert, but since no one else seems to have
answered I'll give a whirl....

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:21:06 +0100, "Jonas Gauffin" <jonas.gauffin at gmail.com> said:
> Hello
>
> I would like to get more clear examples on how to configure the
> conference module.
> First of all, the documentation states that the dialplan action should
> look like this:
>
> <action application="conference"
> data="confname at profile+flags{mute|deaf}+[conference pin number]">
>
> Would a real world example look like this:
>
> <action application="conference" data="myconf at default+flags{mute}+[1234]"
> />
>
> or should the square brackes be removed?

The square brackets would be removed, otherwise your literal example is correct.
Some literal examples are as follows. The tokens "bridge", "flags",
"mute", and "waste" are literal strings.

  confname  # profile is "default", no flags or pin
  confname+1234      # profile is "default", pin is 1234
  confname at profilename+1234 # no flags
  confname+flags{mute,waste}+1234 # profile is "default", multiple flags with pin
  bridge:confname # a "bridging" conference

The starting flags are:
  member can hear
  member can speak
  bandwidth is not wasted

Then if the conference profile specifies "member-flags",
those may flip those defaults (mute | deaf | waste).
Then when each member joins, any flags specified in its
data string may also override the conference setting.

> Next, what does "confname" and "profile" correspond to when looking in
> the conference config? I can understand that "profile" is the same as
> in <profile name="xxxx">, but what are the confname?
> (do confname stand for configuration name, or conference name?)

You are correct, the profile name (after the "@") matches a name
attribute of a profile element in the xml config.
It is just a collection of settings.

The confname is the id of a running conference.
It determines whether the members go to the same running conference or not.

The first time a conference name is used, it will be created
on demand,
and the pin will be set to what ever is specified at that time:
the pin in the data string if specified, or if not, the "pin" setting
in the conference profile, and if that is also unspecified,
then there is no pin protection.
Any later attempt to join the conference must specify the same
pin number, if one existed when it was created.

If the data value starts with "bridge:", then it is a bridging
conference. The conference name should not be already in use.
You can specify the special literal
value of "_uuid_" for the conference name, and a
a session-specific unique id will be generated for you.

Conferences stay alive until the number of members reaches
the minimum number, and then falls below that.
The minimum for bridgeing conferences is 2, and for other
dynamically created conferences is 1.

> What kind of sound file formats are supported?
>
> And what kind of format should the formats be in? =)  For instance if
> wave files are supported, should they be 8khz 8bit mono or something
> else?

Just about any format is supported, but currently it must be at the sample
rate of the conference (no resampling is done).
Since disk is cheaper than CPU, use a wav.
asterisk ships with some useful free sound files for conferences.

> //Jonas
>
> (i'll add the information to the wiki too)

Thanks, please do: http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Mod_conference

-mda