[Freeswitch-users] Voicemail

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixternospam at 0xdecafbad.com
Tue Dec 18 20:37:11 PST 2007

There are macros that define whether it does a TTS or a sound file.
When you include voicemail_en_tts.xml it will be set up to use TTS.  If
you compare that against say lang_en.xml you will see the macro names
are the same but what is defined for each prompt is different.

This enables you to mix and match what you want.  You can create
entirely new prompts if you wanted just by editing the xml.

Now I will go on a little rant for a second :)  If you have static data,
prompts and the like, it is best to use static files, lower CPU load,
etc.  If you have dynamic data, say you are reading someones email to
them, or providing some other data that cant easily be pre-generated,
then you have to use TTS.

That is my opinion, I know others may disagree, but for cpu reasons its
best to not use TTS if you can avoid it.

For rapid prototyping/testing of a new system TTS is great, you can work
out all the prompts, then you know what has to be said, how, when, etc.
You can then look at either just generating TTS->soundfile prompts or
getting them recorded by live talent.

Belfast +44 28 9099 6461        US +1 516 687 5200