[Freeswitch-users] Broadvoice

Jonathan Rogers jonathanrrogers at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 20:40:09 PDT 2007

On 4/15/07, Brian West <brian.west at mac.com> wrote:

> > Apparently, FreeSwitch tries to look up "BroadWorks" in DNS and
> > doesn't find anything,  because that's not an existing DNS name.
> >

> I don't think that is what is going on.  Have these guys never heard
> of freakin SRV records. :P

That is exactly what's going on; what do you find if you look up the
name "BroadWorks" in DNS? There's no TLD called "BroadWorks" so I
don't see how it could succeed. I captured all the traffic with
Wireshark and I can see that FreeSwitch does SRV lookups and gets a
negative response.

I have noticed that when I use my Sipura ATA with Broadvoice, it uses
a special Broadvoice nameserver, so it's possible that that nameserver
resolves the name "BroadWorks". Is the realm supposed to be a DNS
name? I don't fully understand how the authentication works. Though
Asterisk does seem to work with Broadvoice, it does seem that
Broadvoice is pickier and more difficult to use than other services,
so I may decide to switch to a different one.