[Freeswitch-users] Broadvoice

Jonathan Rogers jonathanrrogers at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 05:48:30 PDT 2007

On 4/13/07, Michael Jerris <mike at jerris.com> wrote:
> Can you please post your FreeSWITCH(tm) log with sip trace of the call
> (start freeswith with TPORT_LOG=1) so we can see what it is doing.
> (might want to obscure passwords).

I didn't know about TPORT_LOG=1 until now; here's the output attached
(my real password is replaced with "myPassword"). I think that
FreeSwitch is attempting to REGISTER repeatedly and not sending
authentication, though the log message says that it is. I used
WireShark to grab everything. Looking at all the SIP traffic, I see
FreeSwitch attempting to REGISTER multiple times. After each request,
Broadvoice replies with "401 Unauthorized" but FreeSwitch tries the
exact same "REGISTER" again with no authentication. After about ten
seconds, Broadvoice just stops responding altogether, which is
understandable, but makes debugging difficult. After some unknown
timeout, it'll start responding to requests from my host again.

In contrast, I did get FreeSwitch to register and authenticate my
Stanaphone account. I configured it just like Broadvoice, but with
stanaphone,com and the appropriate username and password. Looking at
the WireShark capture of that process, I could see FreeSwitch sending
a REGISTER request, stanaphone.com responding with "401 Unauthorized"
and FreeSwitch sending a second REGISTER request with appropriate
authentication.

So, there seems to be something different about Broadvoice that
confuses FreeSwitch and prevents it from sending authentication even
though it thinks it is. I don't understand exactly how the
authentication works, but I did notice that in the "401 Unauthorized"
response stanaphone.com sends, it has a line:
-----------------snip-------------------
WWW-Authenticate: Digest realm="stanaphone.com",
nonce="461f750009e560e064b2f288a44e7482b6b109bb"
-----------------snip-------------------

Broadvoice's "401 Unauthorized" response has this line:
-----------------snip-------------------
WWW-Authenticate: DIGEST
realm="BroadWorks",qop="auth",algorithm=MD5,nonce="BroadWorksXf0glpnawTune6wdBW"
-----------------snip-------------------

I don't know what "qop" means or whether "DIGEST" is case sensitive,
but I'm guessing that the problem has something to do with those
authentication parameters.

I have succeed in registering with Broadvoice using Asterisk using the
instructions from the broadvoice.com site. However, I'm completely new
to Asterisk and its configuration is somewhat confusing to me. I don't
know how to translate the configuration directly to FreeSwitch, since
a number of the Asterisk parameters don't seem to exist in FreeSwitch.
I thought all the parameters I'd need to configure were gateway name,
username, and password, as that worked for Stanaphone.

Thanks for your help.