[Freeswitch-dev] Testing mod_sms

Warren Lin wlin121443 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 20:55:50 MSK 2012

________________________________
From: Warren Lin <wlin121443 at yahoo.com>
To: "freeswitch-dev at lists.freeswitch.org" <freeswitch-dev at lists.freeswitch.org>
Cc: Anthony Minessale <anthony.minessale at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 25, 2012 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: Testing mod_sms

Hi, Anthony,

    Sorry for the late reply,  I can only do the test over weekend...

     to re-cap, I was testing "a message was sent while target cell phone was off" , hopefully to get a notice when such non-delivery happens. Or someway , somehow
     to tell if a message was successfuly sent to target cell phone  or not (not to the freeswitch).

    it looks like your patch did send out an event in this situation. but that causes another problem. freeswitch is trying to re-send the message again and
    again without any waiting in between....that took over whole CPU and hung my machine....

   I would like to make following suggestion with my narrow view scope (I am using ESL) . see if it can be used to fit a broader scope.

  (1) mod_sms is mostly used by external programs such java client or php.... Is that possible let the application programer to decide to do the "re-send" or not.
        in the case of progammer decide to do the re-send, they should be able to define the re-send frequency and how many time it re-sends. At the end of
        re-trying. there will be an event to tell the re-try fail or not.

       Or make life easier, just leave the logic to the application programmer. "do not re-send at all". but do issue an Event. (this event needs some id, pls see #2
       as follows..

  (2)  I could not examine the detail of the event you send back for the non-delivery ( since my machine hung, need to reboot. lost all the message on the console).
        but anyhow, in the event, hopefully there is some correlation-id. to help programmer to see which message was sent sucessfully which one is not....
        in this case, there will be one id to return from two different places.  one id return right on the call

                       returnEvt=con.sendEvent(evt);

        the other is when you generates non-delivery event. so that they can be related.

       Hmm....I briefly traced the code. this implemention "might" need big surgery on existing code...(just maybe since I don't know too well about the code...)

       but least, on the non-delivery event, if you can keep ORIGINAL "to" "from" "event-timestamp" in the header. so a programmer can co-relate back the original msg.

this is just my 2 cents.

        BTW, I am also looking into  "clustering" freeswtich without using iptel.org.  could you give me some heads-up. since I google this topic. but not many good
solutions...

Thanks

Warren