[Freeswitch-dev] How can I detect the cause of a potential memory leak?

François Delawarde fdelawarde at wirelessmundi.com
Mon Nov 14 20:30:27 MSK 2011

Hello,

I'm experiencing what I think is a memory leak in a production system
with a recent git (2-Nov), with FS consuming >5GB and increasing after a
few days with never more than 10 calls at once.

While the users are not experiencing problems so far, I'm a bit worried.
So I have a few questions:

- How can I be sure it's a leak and not some memory pool thing that FS
would free when the system needs (system has 10GB total)?

- If I unload modules one by one, is the memory used by this module
freed immediately?

- What would be a "good" way to try and narrow down the cause? Is
valgrind a good tool for that?

Of course I'll try with GIT HEAD and try my best to find the cause
before considering to add a new Jira issue, otherwise it's quite
useless.

Thanks,
François.