[Freeswitch-dev] luasql or freeswitch.dbh

Leon de Rooij leon at scarlet-internet.nl
Tue Sep 28 11:39:47 PDT 2010

  Good evening,

I got the LuaSQL postgres driver working and ran the same example:

require  "luasql.postgres";

local  env=  assert(luasql.postgres())
local  con=  assert(env:connect("db", "user","pass","172.31.0.5"))
local  cur=  assert(con:execute  ("select 1 as foo, 2 as bar"))

local  row=  {}
while  (cur:fetch(row,"a"))  do
   for  key, valin  pairs(row)  do
     stream:write(string.format("%25s : %s\n", key, val))
   end
   stream:write("\n")
end

cur:close()
con:close()
env:close()

And did the same test:

freeswitch at fs-dev>  hammer 1000 lua test_luasql_postgres.lua
+OK Finished in 40625 ms (min 30 ms, max 122 ms)

So it's slowest of the three ! :-) - I didn't investigate any further
about the cause of this.

I ran it a couple of times with the same result, and it was done on the
same machine.

(for completeness sake: all tests were done on an Intel Q6600 with two
KVM guests, one containing an Ubuntu 10.04/64 with Postgres 8.4 and one
guest with CentOS 5.5/64 with FS Trunk)

-- To answer your other question about whether it blocks:

The FreeSWITCH cache db behaves in a way that it makes a new connection
if there are no free handles in the pool. It will only block if your db
server doesn't allow a new connection. In c, you should normally release
your db handle manually, but Lua has garbage collection, that
automatically triggers release of any db handles to the pool when they
go out of scope (for example when your script terminates). If a free
handle is available in the pool it will be re-used by another thread.

If I understand it right, a free handle in the pool will be disconnected
from the db server if it is not used for 120 seconds.

Kind regards,

Leon