[Freeswitch-dev] Native ISDN Stack

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 15:22:44 PDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 6:04 PM, Jan Berger <jan.berger at video24.no> wrote:

> Dave Rowe got Asterisk running on ucLinux quite fast so will check with him
> as well - but exactly what type of work do we need to do?
>
> ucLinux got it's own version of libc etc, so I was hoping it was mostly a
> recompile and removal of fat - lack of MMU is not something you see that
> much unless you use different processes - from a c coding point of view -
> the difference in one app w/threading should not be that visible - or am I
> missing some?
>
> The main difference tend to be restrained memory.

Memory fragmentation. The MMU plays tricks so the process can see a
contiguous chunk of memory even when physically is not. Without MMU you are
more susceptible to memory fragmentation problems.

I guess the fact that FreeSWITCH uses memory pools should help.

All in all, I don't see it like a onda day task fixing silly compilation
issues.

Moises Silva
Senior Software Engineer
Sangoma Technologies Inc. | NEW 100 Renfrew Drive, Suite 100, Markham ON L3R
9R6 Canada
t. 1 905 474 1990 x128 | e. moy at sangoma.com