[Freeswitch-dev] mod_conference - User Classes

David Swardstrom dswardstrom at remotelink.com
Mon Jun 7 12:36:32 PDT 2010

One feature that many conferences have is classes of users. There is the Host/Moderator, speakers, and Guests/participants. In such conferences, the Host may have the ability to Mute all non-speaking Conferees. Currently this requires a separate flag for each user indicating the user class. To toggle conference level mute, the application will need to get a conference list and run through it. For each conferee in the list, the current mute status and user class must be determined.

I would like to propose introducing a new member flag: speaker.
This indicates that the member is a speaker and should not be automatically muted. This would be provided as a “speaker” flag as part of the status on a list.

A new set of Conference APIs would be also be provided: mute & unmute at the conference level.
When issued, any member that does not have a moderator or speaker flag set would be muted or unmuted.

If the conference is “guest muted”, the first line of the list API response would indicate this a “muted” similar to the locked indicator currently provided.

If this seems like a reasonable proposal, I would take a stab at modifying
mod_conference and testing it and then submit it via a Jira request.

Regards,
Paul David Swardstrom