[Freeswitch-dev] core odbc vs in-module mysql

Michael Jerris mike at jerris.com
Fri Feb 26 11:46:38 PST 2010

lots of people complain about the huge overhead of odbc and how horrible it is, and every time I ask them to show me some real numbers that show a significant performance impact.  Of all those who have loudly complained about the horrors of odbc, I have not had a single person take me up on my request and show me any numbers at all to support this theory.

If there is not any real numbers to show a real impact, we can not make a call about if the performance difference would justify increased complexity of supporting anything other than odbc.

Mike

On Feb 26, 2010, at 1:06 PM, Daniel-Constantin Mierla wrote:

> On 02/26/2010 05:08 PM, Anthony Minessale wrote:
>>
>> We use the odbc for any in-tree sql stuff because we are trying to remain database agnostic.
>> if it's your own module it's ok but if you want to contribute it, we would appreciate using ODBC
> ok, thanks. If I understood the architecture, default sql engine in the core is sqlite, with option to replace it with odbc at compile time.
>
> odbc is indeed an abstract layer, but you lose from the power of underneath sql engine. And some out there don't like odbc much, asking to avoid it :-) .
>
> Daniel

Sqlite is mostly there just so it works out of the box, any serious implementation should probably use something via odbc.