[Freeswitch-dev] Scalabilty of Freeswitch

Shelby Ramsey sramsey at sipinterchange.com
Thu Aug 27 14:31:05 PDT 2009

Jerry,

Our responses did not conflict at all (although Ken is definitely a more
reliable resource on the topic than myself).

To answer your question(s) (I think):
        -- The media modes really dictate how much traffic you can run
through an instance
        -- If you select bypass media you can only control the signaling
... things like voicemail, etc would be managed by the devices you are
signaling to (i.e. other FS instances).

Most everyone who runs lots of traffic through FS clusters the devices.
These clusters are independent FS instances that have no knowledge of
one another.  There are lots of ways to build your application so that
they look like one (event_socket, xml_curl, custom mods) .... but FS
itself won't take care of keeping the state from all of the devices in
the cluster (nor will one instance tell another instance to eavesdrop on
a call).  It's actually pretty easy to build your own (thanks to the
smarts these fine folks used when writing this thing).

OpenSER(or any of the other forks of the project) is a great mechanism
to load balance to the cluster or you could do networking tricks like
round robin DNS.

If you really wanted to dig into this I'd post what you are trying to
accomplish on the list (general -- not dev) or if there are commercial
concerns you could always engage the core developers in evaluating --
consulting at freeswitch.org.

SDR