[Freeswitch-dev] Scalabilty of Freeswitch

Shelby Ramsey sramsey at sipinterchange.com
Thu Aug 27 09:04:49 PDT 2009

Jerry,

FS does not work in the manner that you are thinking.  Your option is to
run the signaling alone and not pass the media OR to pass the media.
You can not have signaling run from one FS instance and have it pass
media through another instance (unless you were to "route" the traffic
to the other instance via SIP or another endpoint).

Many architectures (in the commercial carrier grade products) typically
separate functionality into different processes and use some sort of
network based IPC:
    -- the call processing
    -- the endpoints (i.e. SIP, H323) ... which use IPC to talk to the
call processing unit
    -- the media server ... which are controlled by IPC by the call
processing unit

But in the case of FS this is not possible.  A single FS process lives
in it's own world (although it can be quite verbose in telling you what
you want to know) with no knowledge of other FS processes.  Many people
have been quite successful using things like event_socket to load
balance calls across a cluster of FS instances (which can look the same
as the above).

I'm sure other people on the user list can give you great suggestions if
you ask what you are trying to accomplish (I'd suggest the general
list).  The community is pretty generous.

Hope this helps.

SDR