[Freeswitch-dev] Skype calls

Giovanni Maruzzelli gmaruzz at celliax.org
Thu Aug 13 22:09:24 PDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:43 AM, Michael Collins<msc at freeswitch.org> wrote:
> I suppose it all goes back to the fact that each Skype call requires its own
> instance of the Skype client. Unless the Skype client is REALLY efficient
> then that can scale only so high. The permanent solution will be when Skype

The Skype client is a pig, the endpoint (channel driver) use one Skype
client per call because it is the ONLY legal way to connect to the
Skype network (eg: is illegal to reverse engineer, etc), a lot of
effort has been put in understanding how to lower the CPU usage by the
Skype client.

Have a look at the wiki page http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Skypiax

As soon as people will put pressure on Skype/Ebay/Whoever owns the
underlying technology so they open and document the protocol, we will
implement an endpoint that does not depend from the client.

Btw, will also be a step forward if they will give API access to the
library underlying the Skype client, but maybe that one is makeing the
Skype client so a pig :-).

-giovanni