[Freeswitch-dev] hello and question

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Sun May 25 21:05:05 EDT 2008

See,  That's a shame.

That is not an apology for being rude.  It's an attempt to justify being
rude which is a big difference.
I said you offended me and you chose to spend several paragraphs retorting
and then semi-apologizing in the end but with a hint of I am not wrong but
whatever I'm sorry you took it wrong......sigh. I have to tell the same
thing to my kids.  Just knock it off.
Any more like that and I will just ignore it.

You walked into our door and started complaining.  If anyone else out there
reads the original email as anything but a collection of rude comments
guaranteed to piss anyone off who has worked hard on this project, please
chime in.....

Tomorrow is the day we release 1.0.0 Three Years since the idea to make
FreeSWITCH was first hashed.
Maybe now we will have more time to make more documentation but I'm sure it
will never be enough for some people no matter how hard we try..  BTW there
is also a wiki at http://wiki.freeswitch.org with hundreds of pages of docs.

Anyway, I said I am not doing the flame war thing so Here you go:

http://www.freeswitch.org/docs/

The is the "magic link" also known as the button marked "API" on the top
menu on our homepage.

There is an example endpoint and app skel in mod_skel and mod_reference.

There is a header file called switch_module_interfaces.h
http://www.freeswitch.org/docs/switch__module__interfaces_8h.html
http://fisheye.freeswitch.org/browse/FreeSWITCH/src/include/switch_module_interfaces.h?r=8579

There is a description of the module design in this document.
http://www.freeswitch.org/node/117

Every modules in the applications folder is a working example of all the
ways to use the API.
http://fisheye.freeswitch.org/browse/FreeSWITCH/src/mod

Most of the functions you will need to make an Application are found in the
switch_ivr family of function namespace.
To make an endpoint you need most of the API.

Anything you are not allowed to use it not available to you.  All of the
objects are opaque and perhaps there are some things you can do wrong but we
do our best to force you into the right direction with the API.

There is a higher level scripting interface to the application API to
further simplify things if the C API is too challenging.

Most functions start with the name of the header file they live in,
application are launched with the session that was associated with the call
and any function you can call on that session or the channel derived from
that session is probably safe though I would not recommend playing with the
channels states etc because that is an advanced concept I would not try as
my first experiment.

If anyone else out there who had made some modules would care to chime in on
how they got started that would be nice too.
I have written most of the ones in tree myself so I can only comment on
those.

pstn:213-799-1400