[Freeswitch-dev] Audio formats without transcoding

Michael Collins msc at freeswitch.org
Tue Dec 9 08:34:36 PST 2008

Unfortunately mod_native_file hasn't been documented on the wiki yet.
I'm going to work on that. However, the gist of it is this: if you
have a file in the proper format, such as g711, then you can specify
the file name w/o the extension and FreeSWITCH will pick the right one
for the codec being used. You'll need to make sure that your file
names have the proper extensions, like .pcmu for mu-law. A complete
list is available here:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/audio/

so if you have these files:
/tmp/hello.wav
/tmp/hello.pcmu
/tmp/hello.gsm
/tmp/hello.g729

you can specify the exact file name, in which case FS will play the
file and do whatever transcoding is needed. Or you can specify the
filename without the extension and FS will pick the appropriate one:

<action application="playback" data="/tmp/hello"/>

Look for an update on the wiki in the next day or two. In the meantime
please report back if you have any issues.

-MC