[Freeswitch-dev] freeswitch as a standard-alone sip server

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 15:26:47 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 1:22 PM, xmlya <telecomsphere at 163.com> wrote:

>  Anthony,
>     Glad to have you join the discussion. Seems you are one of the
> developers of Freeswitch and thanks for your answer. It will help us to
> learn Freeswitch more and clarify what we don't know and misunderstand.

Yes, I am the primary author of FreeSWITCH as a matter of fact.

>     I am not a user of freeswith now. I only keep an eye on it and join
> the mailing list to get what experts say about Freeswitch and get latest
> update. I think I will experience Freeswitch once a stable release can be
> seen.
>     Now let's get down to the our discussions.
>     Q1: Registar
>     Your answer: Freeswitch can act as stand-alone registar, even without
> openser, etc.
>     OK, that's great.
>
>     Q2: Thread-safe
>     Why I post here is that, I noticed that there was no mutex proection
> over sofia sip transaction hash table. SIP thread run its own event loop(if
> there is something wrong, please correct me).
>     I still don't know how many threads(only sip signaling threads)
> Freeswith sip endpoint can launch, from technique aspect. The answer is more
> like a function description, can you explain in detail how these threads
> work? Or give me a link I can learn myself.
> *    "To teach you something, there is no such thing as "thread safe".
> All code needs to be able to exist in a threaded environment to have any
> useful purpose.  This does not mean trying to use mutexes and threads on
> your behalf.  It means to design your api so that whatever code is using it
> can implement it in a threaded environment."
>      *Are you talking about lock/mutex free programming? but the fact is
> Freeswith is using sofia as the sip channel, so Freeswitch design must base
> on sofia, what's the wrapper you've done, I am keen to hear the detail...
>      Thanks a lot!

No, I'm just saying that all code should be "thread safe" that's all.

Our SIP module is defiantly thread safe I can assure you.
We have people doing 450 calls per second nonstop.
FreeSWITCH is a heavily threaded application and is tested quite thoroughly
to work with thousands of threads at the same time.

> [...]
> enterprise scaled simultaneous instances of a complete SIP UA where each
> instance can be in charge of it's own registration entities.
>
> Inbound registrations support multiple simultaneous registrations to the
> same account and full subscription presence with SLA and BLF on several
> popular SIP phones.
>
> Sofia is quite threaded and our sofia endpoint can easily sustain hundreds
> of calls per second with each call in it's own thread.
>
> To teach you something, there is no such thing as "thread safe".  All code
> needs to be able to exist in a threaded environment to have any useful
> purpose.  This does not mean trying to use mutexes and threads on your
> behalf.  It means to design your api so that whatever code is using it can
> implement it in a threaded environment.
>
> Our SIP module also does SRTP TLS SIP and wide and narrow band audio.
>
> Below is our spec sheet that is listed twice on our homepage in the top
> 10% of the page.
> http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Specsheet
>
> Can you please show me where you got the information that we do not
> support registrations so I may correct it because clearly that document is
> in excess of 2 years old since we have supported registration since at least
> 2006 (about 8 months into the projects start from scratch)
>

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:12 AM, xmlya <telecomsphere at 163.com> wrote:
>

> >  Brian,
> >      I think I can understand Pete Kay. His concern is whether
> > Freeswitch can have registration function in one day, or the development
> > activity for this feature has been scheduled.
> >      By the way, as said in the website documents, Freeswitch is a
> > multi-threaded softswitch and has different endpoints for each protocols,
> > SIP, H.323, etc. My question is, does each endpoint use multiple threads,
> > say SIP endpoint? It seems that sofia is not thread-safe, how did
> > Freeeswitch use this library? If it is used in multi-thread environment,
> > there is much work to do.
> >      Don't have time to look into the code yet. And see your back and
> > forth email.
> >      Thanks for your reply!
> >
> >     Regards,
> >     xmlya
> >
> >  This really isn't for us to decide.  OpenSER is built for that so you
> > have to make the choice on what tool to use for your needs.
> >
> > On Apr 18, 2008, at 7:41 AM, Pete Kay wrote:
> >
> > > I have a question for the creators of freeswitch.  With freeswitch,
> > > people are still going to need Openser to do sip registering and it
> > > is understandable that a pure sip register is more efficient.   The
> > > problem with Openser is that it is not that easy to config as
> > > compared to freeswitch.  So, I am wondering does it make sense for
> > > use part of the current freeswitch function to just make a
> > > "freeser" ( for pure sip registration) so that users can enjoy an
> > > efficient sip server and the ease-of-use from the freeswitch design?

pstn:213-799-1400