[Freeswitch-dev] freeswitch as a standard-alone sip server

Anthony Minessale anthony.minessale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 11:56:46 EDT 2008

Respectfully the much work you refer to that we have to do is mostly to seek
out and correct the page where you gentlemen were both misinformed about
FreeSWITCH.

FreeSWITCH supports not only inbound and outbound registration but
enterprise scaled simultaneous instances of a complete SIP UA where each
instance can be in charge of it's own registration entities.

Inbound registrations support multiple simultaneous registrations to the
same account and full subscription presence with SLA and BLF on several
popular SIP phones.

Sofia is quite threaded and our sofia endpoint can easily sustain hundreds
of calls per second with each call in it's own thread.

To teach you something, there is no such thing as "thread safe".  All code
needs to be able to exist in a threaded environment to have any useful
purpose.  This does not mean trying to use mutexes and threads on your
behalf.  It means to design your api so that whatever code is using it can
implement it in a threaded environment.

Our SIP module also does SRTP TLS SIP and wide and narrow band audio.

Below is our spec sheet that is listed twice on our homepage in the top 10%
of the page.
http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/Specsheet

Can you please show me where you got the information that we do not support
registrations so I may correct it because clearly that document is in excess
of 2 years old since we have supported registration since at least 2006
(about 8 months into the projects start from scratch)

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 10:12 AM, xmlya <telecomsphere at 163.com> wrote:

>  Brian,
>      I think I can understand Pete Kay. His concern is whether Freeswitch
> can have registration function in one day, or the development activity for
> this feature has been scheduled.
>      By the way, as said in the website documents, Freeswitch is a
> multi-threaded softswitch and has different endpoints for each protocols,
> SIP, H.323, etc. My question is, does each endpoint use multiple threads,
> say SIP endpoint? It seems that sofia is not thread-safe, how did
> Freeeswitch use this library? If it is used in multi-thread environment,
> there is much work to do.
>      Don't have time to look into the code yet. And see your back and
> forth email.
>      Thanks for your reply!
>
>     Regards,
>     xmlya
>
> This really isn't for us to decide.  OpenSER is built for that so you
> have to make the choice on what tool to use for your needs.
>
> On Apr 18, 2008, at 7:41 AM, Pete Kay wrote:
>
> > I have a question for the creators of freeswitch.  With freeswitch,
> > people are still going to need Openser to do sip registering and it
> > is understandable that a pure sip register is more efficient.   The
> > problem with Openser is that it is not that easy to config as
> > compared to freeswitch.  So, I am wondering does it make sense for
> > use part of the current freeswitch function to just make a
> > "freeser" ( for pure sip registration) so that users can enjoy an
> > efficient sip server and the ease-of-use from the freeswitch design?
>
> Brian Westsip:brian at freeswitch.org <sip%3Abrian at freeswitch.org>

pstn:213-799-1400