[Freeswitch-dev] SIP 503 instead of 480 when fsctl pause

Zelei Csaba csaba.zelei at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 12:47:09 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Recently we had a scenario where a cisco router proxy calls to FS servers.
If we issue fsctl pause (we would like to stop one of the proxy due to
maintenance) then it send 480 SIP messages back to the cisco which hangup on
the call.
We tried it with 503 instead of 480 and in this case the cisco tried the
next route.
According to SIP rfc 480 used when "The callee's end system was contacted
successfully but the callee is currently unavailable" while 503 used when
"The server is temporarily unable to process the request due to a temporary
overloading or maintenance of the server"

Wouldn't it be better to use 503 instead of 480 when the server is goind
down for maintenance?

Thanks in advance,

Csaba Zelei