[Freeswitch-dev] localized dialplans

M Matijas mladen at podiumvision.co.uk
Fri Dec 21 04:44:23 EST 2007

Hi,

Talking about dial plans, let me point out a weakness in all the open source
& lots of the private soft switches when it comes to dial plans.

Lots of people offer soft switch international services. But what they
cannot offer the user their own country dialling.

For example I use an ITSP in Portugal & the UK. I am based in France.

Example:
	* to dial Portugal I will use the Portuguese ITSP but I dial locally
as though I am in Portugal. If I want to dial elsewhere, I have to do
(preselection digit) then (+) then (country code) then (strip out the zero)
then (the rest of the plan)
	* similarly for the UK

So for either of these I have to do a who stack of dial plans in my PC/CPE
to account for this.

A smarter way is for the soft switch to know the person is French, i.e. user
inputs his physical location during subscription or ITSP does a whois lookup
& finds out where (what country) the user's IP address is allocated to, then
modifies the dial plan. The complexity here would be that during the
dialling, the soft switch must also know what gateway it is going to use,
where it is, i.e. which country & region, and do the necessary digit
manipulation.

The commercial systems do this like Broadsoft, Netcentrex, Cirpack etc.

This sound reasonable? I know it is a difficult task as I ask my engineers
to look at it & they said it is more difficult as you also have to add all
the other route fail-over, call forwarding etc. rules in to the equation.

Regards,
Mladen