[Freeswitch-dev] DSO library management issues

Anthony Minessale anthmct at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 30 13:09:18 EDT 2006

There are a few good explanations (I hope).

I have chosesn to build all of the code used in the program for a few reasons:

1) To ensure proper configuration and versioning.
   a) We have no control over what options the default system libs
      were built with (thread saftey options etc).
   b) As a side-effect of our extensive push on our dependancies,
      we often need the code to be modified to work properly
      due to necessary modifications or bugfixes that only exist
      in our private tarball while we wait for a new version to be released.
   c) Most distros do not provide cutting edge releases of libraries
      which be necessary due to results from sub-reason (b)

2) To create a atonomous environment.
    a) The defualt install prefix is /usr/local/freeswitch all of the depends
       are installed in this dir so you can subsequently tar up that directory
       and move it to another machine without installing it again.

    b) Some systems have slightly different versions of the same
       libraries that do not co-exist well we never need to look outside
       of our own lib dir for these libraries.

I am fairly concerned with making huge initiatives in the build process
during a time where I am still coding 12 hours a day on the core but I am open
to improvement as long as the tangent does not impeed my development effort.
Imagine if someone wanted to install superior scafolding while the guy is on top of it building the house still.  Once development shifts to higher level
stuff my concerns will most likely subside.

One bright note is if you dont watch during the endless stream of ./configure make ; make install, it goes faster (a watched pot never boils) =D
And that only happens the first time, subsequent builds go much faster.

I am truely anxious to see what happens on this super sun box
and I'd like to thank you for your efforts and your valuable time I really
appriciate your help.

MSN:anthony_minessale at hotmail.com
JABBER:anthony.minessale at gmail.com

sip:888 at 66.250.68.194