[Freeswitch-dev] Freeswitch now has Python Support - Ruby better

Sergey Kuznetsov freeswitch at deeptown.org
Sun Sep 10 10:28:49 EDT 2006

Brian West wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2006, at 8:38 AM, Sergey Kuznetsov wrote:
>
>> My first question:
>>
>> When I checked the code last night for the licenses I found that
>>
>> libeXosip is a extension to libosip2
>>
>> and it's under GPL, but mod_exosip is under MPL. How is it possible to
>>
>> use it then?
>>

> This is why exosip is going away and mod_sofia is taking its place.

Ahh, okay. I am just remembering that recent email. I was unsure.

>> My second question:
>>
>> I was asked to do some research on the feasibility of using FreeSwitch
>>
>> in a commercial product.
>>
>> My question is:
>>
>> If some company will make the modules which is using the FreeSwitch Core
>>
>> and interoperates with
>>
>> other modules shall that company open the source code of their modules
>>
>> or that is not necessary?
>>

> The MPL allows this but you are encouraged to open source your modules
> if possible.  But its not a requirement.
Okay. Good. Company can for example use their code for some time as
closed source and then put it back to project, or to open it partially
not to give their competitors chance to use that code in their products
against that company. This is rhetorical question =)

>> Shall they provide the source code of the rest of the FreeSwitch code
>>
>> with the product or they can
>>
>> refer to freeswitch.org for the source code?
>>

> You don't have too.
But company must provide the credits to Anthony and to the project
itself, which is good. That is the reason why I like BSD license =)
I helped to my friend to port his language to *UX platform from windows.
We just did opened it to everyone at http://c-smile.sourceforge.net

>> Is it possible to use FreeSwitch code in commercial products at all or
>>
>> there is some additional restrictions?
>>

> Yep you can and nope their is no additional restrictions.  (Read the
> MPL 1.1)
I did it last night but that lawyers language is not my strength :)
That's why I asked about it here. :)

All the Best!
Sergey.