[Freeswitch-dev] [Freeswitch-users] C SAY API

Matt Porter mporter at voice3g.com
Sun Dec 17 01:00:40 EST 2006

You are really going to need some feedback about this one.
Its been a terribly long time, and i have forgotten most of the issues we faced..
but when we ported a unified messaging product many years ago to some of the eastern languages.  It was almost impossible to abstract this concept out.

Abstracting something like speaking a URL, Phone number, Numeric string is perfectly attainable...
but constructing a useful working sentence is much more complicated..

given "You have 1000 messages", in english.

may need to say "1000 messages you have", before it makes any sense in Chinese or Piglatin or whatever.

In which case, you end up having to write seperate IVR code for each language anyway.  and having a "multi-lingular say API" is of extremely limited usefulness.

I am not bilingual.. heck i never did any good in English class either.
Im not trying to throw poo on the idea..  just skeptical about how useful this may turn out, for anything but a handful of commonly constructed languages.